This qualification consists of a range of core units to provide opportunities for learners to develop skills in areas such as literacy, numeracy, ICT, employability, learning to learn and personal development.
A range of taster units in different sector specific areas provide opportunities for learners to test their abilities and personal preferences before selecting a chosen career or employment route.
These qualifications will be of particular benefit to those learners who:
- Want to progress into other further or higher education courses, or into a new work area.
- Are returning, or planning to return, to work and who are seeking to update and/or add to their employment skills.
- Would benefit from alternative approaches to curriculum and learning.
- Want to test out a vocational area to inform their career/employment choices.
- For whatever reason, have not previously achieved in education.
- Need to develop their literacy and/or numeracy skills.
The qualifications allow learners to achieve the size and level of qualification most suitable for their needs and relevant to their stage of learning, providing an opportunity to work towards qualifications in small steps.
The Qualifications in Progression are also approved to run with pre-16 learners. They contain many of the units from the popular Skills Towards Enabling Progression (Step-Up) qualifications so can be used in their place.
Qualifications in Progression are a flexible and responsive range of general and pre-vocational qualifications devised with the aim to progress learners into further learning and/or employment. They also contain many of the units from the popular Skills Towards Enabling Progression (Step-Up) qualifications so can be used in their place.
There is no requirement for learners to have achieved prior qualifications or units prior to undertaking this/these qualifications.
There is no requirement for learners to have prior skills, knowledge or understanding.
What will I study?
Core modules may include:
- Active Citizenship in the Local Community
- Alcohol Awareness
- Aspects of Citizenship
- British values and keeping safe from radicalisation
- Career Planning
- Communication Skills for Group and Teamwork
- Communication Skills for Work
- Community environment project
- Conduct at Work
- Developing Own Interpersonal Skills
- Enterprise Ideas
- Health and Hygiene in the Home
How will I be assessed?
Learners must achieve 6 credits from either Unit Group A or Unit Group B:
- Written tasks
- Practical activity
- Study visits
- Team building activities
You will be involved in taking part in trips and visits, such as The Bank of England and attend Business Conferences. You will also have access to key employers that will deliver guest lectures to build your industry knowledge and create your future.
You will be offered opportunities to actively engage with industry related employers and take part in experiential events to improve your personal development.
The qualifications provide vocational tasters which will aid future career decisions and progression opportunities to employment or further study, including sector specific qualifications. The qualifications also provide learners with the skills and knowledge to improve their own employability.
Waltham Forest College is a vibrant and aspirational college and will support you to reach your career aspirations. Last year 96% of learners progressed onto a positive destination either to higher levels of study, employment, or an Apprenticeship.