This course is designed for 16-19 year olds
Our Level 1 course is designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills to progress onto our Level 2 Catering course.
Throughout the course you will be trained and assessed to achieve a City and Guilds qualification as well as receive training which reflects the reality of the industry and provide you with a comprehensive understanding of the skills and knowledge required to progress your career.
Starting at Level 1 is the first year of a 2 year course. For your second year you will progress onto Catering Level 2. After Level 2 you will have the opportunity to progress to Catering Level 3 or move into employment within the Catering Industry.
Your progression from this qualification will be:
• Hospitality and Culinary Arts, Level 2 at Waltham Forest College
The entry requirements for this course are:
• 4 GCSEs at Grade 1 (G) or above including English and maths
• Interview and assessment
If required, you will have the opportunity to study GCSE maths and/or English alongside your course so you can progress onto the next level.
You will be trained and assessed across the following areas:
- Introduction to the hospitality industry
- Food service
- Basic food preparation and cooking
- Preparing and serving drinks
- Front office operations
- Housekeeping and guest services
- Introduction to personal workplace skills
- Health and safety and food safety awareness in catering
- Introduction to kitchen equipment
- Applying for jobs and courses
- Investigating rights and responsibilities at work
- Principles of customer service in hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism
This course is supported by our Create Your Future Programme. An online curriculum, specially tailored to your course and level, to help you develop essential workplace skills, strengthen your independence, boost confidence and increase progression opportunities.
You will be assessed through:
• Observation and knowledge questions
• Practical assessments and written assignments