The Baking for Beginners course is scheduled during the day and delivers a mixture of practical and theory lessons.
The course is perfect for:
- Complete beginners who are looking to learn the art of baking and decorating cakes
- Home bakers struggling with creating professional looking cakes
- Anyone looking to expand their culinary background and advance their baking career
- Anyone who wants to learn new recipes and create new and unique cake decorating designs.
- Anyone who wants to sell specialty cakes for events such as birthdays, baby showers and anniversaries.
The course runs for 3 hours a week over 10 weeks.
The Hospitality and Tourism Sector is a key pillar of the UK's broader economic and social success and employs approximately 3 million people.
There were 146,000 job vacancies across the Hospitality Sector in the months leading to January 2023 meaning that this is a sector ready for skilled fresh talent to take advantage of the opportunities available.
The entry requirements for this course are:
- No previous baking background or experience is necessary
- Interview and assessment
What will I study?
This course consists of the following modules:
- Learn to bake, fill, frost and decorate the perfect cake
- Create professionally looking layered cakes with three unique designs
- Learn the ultimate chocolate cake recipe with the best tips on how to bake your cake moist, levelled, and perfect for layered cake style
- Work on amazing fillings and toppings with the most versatile vanilla cream filling and a raspberry topping
- Learn the classic Swiss/Italian meringue method to creating buttercream frosting
- Explore all the basic piping techniques and the correct way of creating them
- Learn how to cut and level a cake in order to prepare it for staking
- Learn the art of piping buttercream flowers
- Learn all the tips and tricks and what to avoid while baking the perfect cake
There will be opportunities to complete an Employability qualification which will support progression to further study.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed via:
- Online portfolio
Our Student Common Room is a great place to unwind and relax during your breaks. It features pool tables, table tennis, a gaming corner and lots of comfy sofas so you can refresh before your next lesson.
Themed events are held in the Common Room so you can get the best experience of being a Waltham Forest College student.
You will be offered opportunities to actively engage and take part in experiential events to improve your personal development.
The completion of this course will allow you to progress onto:
- Hospitality & Cookery Entry Level 3
- Hospitality & Cookery Level 1
- Hospitality & Cookery Level 2
- Patisserie and Confectionary Level 2
Waltham Forest College is a vibrant and aspirational college and will support you to reach your career aspirations. Last year 96% of learners progressed onto a positive destination either to higher levels of study, employment, or an Apprenticeship.