This course is designed for 16-19 year olds.
The BTEC National Extended Diploma in Information Technology Level 3 course consists of 2 separate qualifications over 2 years.
In the first year of study, you will work towards the Level 3 National Foundation in IT. On successful completion of this course, you will progress to the Extended Diploma in IT.
The Level 3 Extended Diploma is designed for you to develop your knowledge in IT such as, data management, cybersecurity, networking, programming and social media in business. It supports the development of essential, specialist skills for careers in information technology.
The course is equivalent to 3 A-Levels and prepares learners for a range of higher education and apprenticeship courses including HNC or BA in computing, network engineering, business management, telecom professionals and infrastructure technician etc.
Through tutorial sessions you will be supported to enhance your employability skills, including, project management, teamwork, research, communication and presentation skills alongside your time management.
The course is scheduled over 3.5 days per week and will be a mixture of theory, practical and online lessons.
This course will lead to:
- Higher education – either a degree or HNC/D in Computing and IT
- Employment within the IT Sector
- Apprenticeship in Digital
The entry requirements for this course are:
- 4 GCSEs at Grade 4 (C) or above including English and maths or Merit in relevant Level 2 qualification
You will be required to attend an informal interview which may include completing an assessment based on your prior qualifications.
This course consists of the following modules:
- Year 1 topics for this study programme may include:
- Information technology systems
- Creating systems to manage information
- Using social media in business
- Data modelling
- Website development
Year 2 units for this programme may include:
- IT project management
- Cyber security and incident management
- IT service delivery
- Digital 2D & 3D graphics
- Computer games
- IT technical support and management
- Cloud Storage and collaboration tools
You will be assessed via:
- Practical tasks
- Written reports
- Group projects
- Research tasks