This course is designed for students aged 19+ and it is aimed increasing knowledge, skills and understanding of coding.
Successful completion of the required units will allow students to develop in-depth knowledge, skills and understanding of coding practices. It will also support progression into relevant employment and further study in coding.
On the course, students will be able to explore the stages of software design, coding principles and practices, write debug and other coding solutions, and understand deployment, configuration & management versions.
Alongside the IT skills, students will develop key employability skills such as:
- Time management
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Managing information
- Working collaboratively
The course is scheduled over 1 day - Thursdays 10am to 4pm* - per week and will be a mixture of theory, practical and online workshops.
*Subject to review
This course can lead to:
- A range of IT job roles.
- Level 4 Certificate in IT
- Level 4 Diploma in Software Development
- Software Development Technician apprenticeship
This qualification is designed for learners who are working or would like to work in coding. It is ideal for those who want to consolidate their existing knowledge and learn practical skills which can be used to assist in seeking employment in coding or to progress into further study.
- There is no specific prior knowledge a learner must have for this qualification.
- Students may find it helpful if they’ve already achieved a Level 2 in Digital Skills or a Level 2 information technology qualification.
- Students will ideally have a Level 2 qualifications in maths.
This course consists of the following modules:
- Coding requirements for planning
- Understanding coding design
- Implementation of coding
- Software testing
- Understanding deployment, maintenance and configuration management
This qualification is internally assessed through:
All units in these qualifications are internally assessed
- Practical tasks
- Written work
- Group projects
- Research tasks
Students will be required to create a portfolio of evidence that demonstrates achievement of all the learning criteria associated with each unit.
All assessments will allow the student to respond to a real-life situation that they may face when in employment.