This course is designed for students who are 19+ and it is aimed at providing them with an opportunity to develop skills and knowledge relating to cyber security systems and practices.
On the course, students will be able to explore the principles of security design and consider the advantages and disadvantages. They will evaluate threats and emerging attack techniques and explain types of security testing.
Alongside the IT skills, students will develop key employability skills such as:
- Time management
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Managing information
- Working collaboratively
The course is scheduled over 1 day – Fridays 10am to 4pm* - per week and will be a mixture of theory, practical and online workshops.
*Subject to review
This course can lead to:
- A range of IT job roles
- Level 4 Diploma in Cyber Security
- Level 4 Certificate for IT Professionals
- Level 4 Certificate in Information and Cyber Security Foundations
- Level 4 Certificate in Cyber Security and Intrusion for Business
- There is no specific prior knowledge a student must have for this qualification.
- Students may find it helpful if they’ve already achieved a Level 2 in Digital Skills or a Level 2 Information Technology qualification.
- Students will ideally have a Level 2 qualification in maths and/or English.
This course consists of the following modules:
- Understanding cyber security principles
- Threat intelligence in cyber security
- Cyber security testing, vulnerabilities and controls
- Security incident response
- Understanding legislation and ethical conduct
- Professional skills and behaviours for cyber security
This qualification is internally assessed through:
- Practical tasks
- Written work
- Group projects
- Research tasks
Students will be required to create a portfolio of evidence that demonstrates achievement of all the learning criteria associated with each unit.
All assessments will allow the student to respond to a real-life situation that they may face when in employment.