The Essential Digital Skills Level 1 qualification will allow you to develop important fundamental skills in using technology in today's digital world.
If you have no or low digital skills, you will benefit from accessing a fully funded and up-to-date qualification that reflects the evolving digital landscape.
The course is delivered on Tuesday evening from 6pm to 9pm for 12 weeks.
In today's rapidly evolving digital landscape, IT plays a pivotal role in driving innovation, efficiency, and success across various industries.
In 2023 the UK tech sector was valued to have a combined market value of $1 trillion, the third country to reach the milestone. This makes the UK, and London in particular, a great place to start your digital career.
At Waltham Forest College, we offer a comprehensive range of digital information technology courses that provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to excel in this dynamic field.
The entry requirements for this course are:
These are an important pre-requisite skills learners need to have prior to starting this course:
- Initial English assessment of at least Entry Level 3
- Turning on a device (including entering and updating any account information safely, such as a password)
- Using the available controls on a device (such as a mouse and keyboard for a computer, or touchscreen on a smartphone or tablet)
- Making use of accessibility tools (including assistive technology) to make devices easier to use (such as changing display settings to make content easier to read)
- Interacting with the home screen on a device
- Connecting to the internet (including Wi-Fi) and safely and securely opening a browser
- Opening and accessing an application on a device
You will be required to attend an informal interview which may include completing an assessment based on your prior qualifications.
What will I study?
This course consists of the following modules:
- Using devices and handling information
- Using hardware and software
- Searching and navigating
- Creating and editing
- Using apps to enter and edit information
- Capturing/saving multimedia
- Communicating - Sending and receiving communications
- Transactions - E-commerce and buying online
- Being safe and responsible online - protecting your data
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed via:
- Task based assessment
- Question paper
Our Student Common Room is a great place to unwind and relax during your breaks. It features pool tables, table tennis, a gaming corner and lots of comfy sofas so you can refresh before your next lesson.
Themed events are held in the Common Room so you can get the best experience of being a Waltham Forest College student.
You will be offered opportunities to actively engage with industry related employers and take part in experiential events to improve your personal development.
This course will lead to:
- Higher level digital skills including ICT Functional Skills
Waltham Forest College is a vibrant and aspirational college and will support you to reach your career aspirations. Last year 96% of learners progressed onto a positive destination either to higher levels of study, employment, or an Apprenticeship.