This course is designed for 16-19 and 19+ year olds.
You will start on the Certificate in Construction Skills (Carpentry and Joinery) qualification in year 1 before moving onto the Diploma in Site Carpentry (QCF) in year 2.
This 2 year carpentry course is a package designed to provide learners with a fantastic understanding of all aspects of carpentry and joinery. This is an in-depth course that will give you all the skills and certification you need to successfully access a career in the Carpentry Industry.
If you join Waltham Forest College, you will leave your carpentry course with 6 industry relevant qualifications which will give you a competitive edge when stepping into the world of work.
After the 2 years, you will have the option to study a Level 3 NVQ, delivered by the College, alongside working in the industry. The NVQ will give you the extra level of certification you need to work as a Carpenter in a commercial setting.
Throughout the course you will receive training which reflects the reality of the industry and provides you with a comprehensive understanding of the skills and knowledge required to progress your career.
The course is scheduled over 3 days per week and will be a mixture of theory and practical.
19+ adults course fee: £2,085. You may be eligible to study this course for free or access financial support.
This course will lead to:
- Transition to T Level in Construction
- Employment into the Carpentry Industry
- NVQ Level 3 at Waltham Forest College – If you wish to further enhance your skills in the workplace then the NVQ Level 3 will allow you to work in the commercial industry.
The entry requirements for this course are:
- 4 GCSEs at Grade 1 (G) or above including English and maths.
If required, you will have the opportunity to study GCSE maths and/or English alongside your course so you can progress onto the next level.
This course consists of the following modules:
- First and second fix carpentry
- Stud walling
- Door frames / linings
- Hanging doors
- All aspects of ironmongery, hinges, latches, locks etc
- Roofing using run/rise method and Pythagoras theorem
- Flooring including joists, trimming for openings and floorboards etc
- Ripping of man-made materials and timber
- Fitting of stairs including cutting over trimmer, fixing etc
- Health and safety in carpentry
In addition, you will learn various aspects of maintenance work, including repairs to mouldings, doors and windows, replacing gutters, downpipes and sash cords and throughout, you will also learn how to use power tools correctly, as well as setting up and using a circular saw.
This qualification also covers areas of kitchen fitting, including kitchen units, worktops and fitments.
You will be assessed across a mixture of theory and practical assignments which will be carried out to industry standards.
The assessment methods will be a mix of the below:
- Practical assessments
- Theory based assessments
- Online exams
All assessments will give you an opportunity to pass at one of the following three standards: