This course is designed for 16-19 and 19+ year olds.
This 2 year bricklaying course is a package designed to give you all the skills and certification you need to successfully access a career in the Bricklaying Industry.
If you join Waltham Forest College, you will leave your bricklaying course with 6 industry relevant qualifications which will give you a competitive edge when stepping into the world of work.
After the 2 years, you will have the option to study a Level 3 NVQ, delivered by the College, alongside working in the industry. The NVQ will give you the extra level of certification you need to work as a Bricklayer in a commercial setting.
Throughout the course you will receive training which reflects the reality of the industry and provides you with a comprehensive understanding of the skills and knowledge required to progress your career.
The course is scheduled over 3 days per week and will be a mixture of theory and practical.
Your progression from this qualification will be either of the below pathways:
• Employment into the Bricklaying Industry
• NVQ Level 3 at Waltham Forest College – If you wish to further enhance your skills in the workplace then the NVQ Level 3 will allow you to work in the commercial industry.
The entry requirements for this course are:
• 4 GCSEs at Grade 1 (G) or above including English and maths.
If required, you will have the opportunity to study GCSE maths and/or English alongside your course so you can progress onto the next level.
You will be trained and assessed across the following areas:
• Health and Safety in construction
• Constructing half brick corner
• Constructing cavity walls in brick and block
• Constructing 1 brick walling (English bond)
• Half brick wall with basket weave feature
• Attached and detached piers
• Raking and cutting to a timber frame building
• Cavity wall with window opening
• Plinth brickwork
This course is supported by our Create Your Future Programme. An online curriculum, specially tailored to your course and level, to help you develop essential workplace skills, strengthen your independence, boost confidence and increase progression opportunities.
You will be assessed across a mixture of theory and practical assignments which will be carried out to industry standards.
The assessment methods will be a mix of the below:
• Practical assessments
• Theory based assessments
• Online exams
All assessments will give you an opportunity to pass at one of the following three standards: