In the first semester you will focus on speaking and listening in your ESOL lessons. You will learn to communicate with other students, find out about life in the UK and develop the skills you need to live here.
Alongside your ESOL course you will study an E3 vocational course. You can choose between Childcare, Hospitality or Hair and Beauty. You will also study Maths as part of this course.
English is spoken as a second language by 26% of the borough of Waltham Forest. Our ESOL Plus courses are an introduction into key vocational courses for speakers of other languages.
Childcare, hospitality and Hair & Beauty are all growing industries that are looking for new employees. This first step will help you into the industry of your choice.
You must be working at a strong E3 ESOL level at the beginning of the
What will I study?
This course consists of the following modules:
- L1 speaking and listening assessments which include a presentation and discussion with other learners
- You will work on assignments for your E3 vocational course
- You will work towards a Functional Skills Maths exam at the level appropriate for you
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed via:
- A speaking and listening assessment with your teacher and with other students.
- You will complete assignments for your vocational qualification.
- You will sit a Maths exam in November
Our Student Common Room is a great place to unwind and relax during your breaks. It features pool tables, table tennis, a gaming corner and lots of comfy sofas so you can refresh before your next lesson.
Themed events are held in the Common Room so you can get the best experience of being a Waltham Forest College student.
You will be offered opportunities to actively engage and take part in experiential events to improve your personal development.
The completion of this course will allow you to progress onto:
- Higher level ESOL courses at Waltham Forest College
- Vocational course (for students with Entry 3 or above in ESOL)
- L1 courses in the vocational area you have chosen
Ingrid completed ESOL Plus in 2020 and is now working towards a Level 3 in Hairdressing at Waltham Forest College.