This course is designed for 19+ adults.
Our Access to Higher Education Diploma in Social Sciences Level 3 is designed for people who would like to study social science and humanities related subjects at University.
The course content focuses on the core knowledge and skills you need to successfully progress to study at degree level in your chosen subject.
The teaching and learning methods will give you opportunities to develop transferable skills including:
- Problem solving
- Thinking and independent study skills
The course is 1 year and scheduled over 3 days per week and will be a mixture of theory and practical lessons.
This course will lead to:
- Higher Education Degree
The entry requirements for this course are
- You must be aged 19+
- Have a GCSE Grade 4 (C) or Level 2 Functional Skills in English or maths. The ideal candidate will, however, have already achieved Level 2 qualifications in both subjects.
In addition to your Access programme for those who have not yet achieved a Level 2 in both subjects, you will be required to enrol onto an adult English or maths Level 2 qualification in the specified subject, in order to support your progression onto higher level study. It is important to note that all students progressing onto university will need to have achieved Level 2 qualifications in both English and maths, as well as their main qualification.
All students will be required to attend an interview demonstrating their commitment to the course and evidencing their qualifications on entry. You will also sit a diagnostic test in both English and maths.
This course consists of some of the following modules:
- Sociology of the family
- Human rights for the twenty first century
- Understanding the impact of crime
- Introduction to criminology
- Aspects of social psychology
- Atypical development and abnormal behaviour
You will be assessed via:
- Essays and reports
- Leaflets and posters
- External exams
- Tutor observations