Accessibility Menu

The Introductory Uniformed Public Services Level 1 qualification will allow you to prepare for a career in the uniformed Public Services. 

Students will gain an understanding of this industry in general and an insight into the various career options available. As an introductory to the services, you will learn about Police powers, public service roles in other sectors and how-to response and deal with emergency incidents. 

Waltham Forest College is putting sustainability at the heart of everything that we do, and in this course, you will learn more about the environment and how various areas of public services from government down are looking to reduce their carbon footprint and work towards a more sustainable future. You will take part in various projects around sustainability and discuss the best use of resources and environmentally friendly strategies and practices.

The course is scheduled over 3-4 days per week and will be a mixture of theory and practical lessons. 

The College has strong links with the Metropolitan Police, London Fire Brigade, the Military and other Public Sector organisations.

  • Sector Overview

    Public Services in the UK provide a range of opportunities for the 5.77 million already working in the sector. The industry is made from local and national government, Health and Social Care, Education, Business Administration including Law enforcement and intelligence. It is a growing sector with increased budgets from central government for recruitment into the Uniformed Protected Services.

  • Entry Requirements

    The entry requirements for this course are:

    • 4 GCSEs at Grade 1 or above including maths and English
    • Assessment 
    • Interview

    If required, you will study GCSE or Functional Skills English and/or maths alongside your course so you can progress onto the next level.

  • What will I study?

    This course consists of the following modules:

    • Developing a personal progression plan 
    • Being organised
    • Finding out about public services 
    • Taking part in fitness testing 
    • Carrying out security searches
    • Responding to an Incident 
    • Planning and navigating a route 
    • Assisting members of the public
    • Contributing to your community 
    • Taking part in sport and adventurous activities
  • How will I be assessed?

    You will be assessed via:

    • Assignments 
    • Presentation 
    • Reports 
    • Role play 

    All assignments must be submitted on or before the deadline set, to enhance your success and potential grade. 

    All assessments will offer you an opportunity to pass at one of the following three standards: Pass, Merit and Distinction.

  • Enrichment

    Alongside your course, you will take part in drill parades, attending outdoor expeditions, taking part in water sports, physical cardio endurance activities, camping and community charity events.  

    These enrichments are aligned and tailored around your course and development. They are the key to building soft skills in the role of employment.

    Our Student Common Room is also a great place to unwind and relax during your breaks. It features pool tables, table tennis, a gaming corner and lots of comfy sofas so you can refresh before your next lesson. 

    Themed events are held in the Common Room so you can get the best experience of being a Waltham Forest College student.

  • Work Experience

    You must complete 36 hours of work placement with an external employer linked to the industry of study, which is an essential part of the programme. The connections we have for work experience are Ride Along schemes with the Metropolitan Police, one week residential to the Armed forces base, YMCA charity, British Heart foundation and Feel Good Centre and Gym.

  • Progression opportunities

    The completion of this course will allow you to progress onto:

    • Public Services Level 2 

    If applicants are 19 and over, they can have the opportunity to apply for the Access to Policing Level 3 programme at Waltham Forest College.

  • Alumni

    100% of learners who study Uniformed Public Services Level 1 have achieved at the College with 70% progressing onto Public Services Level 2 internally and the remaining 30% finding employment or progressing their studies internally in other departments. 

    Learner: Initial "SA"- Achieved a Distinction after completing the Introductory Diploma in Public Services Level 1. After much determination and support from tutors, he progressed internally onto the Public Service Level 3 course and is currently going through the application process with the Metropolitan Police.

We want to get you on your course and into a career as quickly as possible, but there are some things you may need to know...

ofsted outstanding   9 mayor good work2      8dcc.png     Matrix  mayor construct acadmey   qscs     6 esfa