This course is designed for Post-16 learners to progress directly to employment in sport and activity leadership, or to an apprenticeship.
It is aimed at young people who wish to study the sports and leisure industry in a professional vocational sports setting based at Leyton Orient Football Club and the Score sports complex.
It will help develop the skills and behaviours that will give them the best opportunity to be successful when applying for work. It relates directly to the skills, knowledge and behaviours expected by employers in the leisure sector of a sport and activity leader.
In addition, learners will develop transferable technical and practical skills in communication (working with colleagues, customers and clients), self-management, problem solving, development and management of information.
There will be opportunities for work experience and volunteer placements, gain additional coaching qualifications and also to play football or other sports for our College Teams in regional and London based leagues. Football students will receive six hours coaching from Leyton Orient FC Academy and Community coaches as part of their enrichment programme.
This course is designed for those that want to combine education on a non-traditional site with training and playing sport to the highest level they are capable of
The entry requirements for this course is:
- 4 GCSEs at Grade 3 (D) or above including English and Maths Grade 2 (E) or above
- Pass/Merit in a relevant Level 1 qualification
- Initial assessment minimum Entry 3 English
- Interview and assessment
You will be required to attend an informal interview which may include completing an assessment based on your prior qualifications.
This course consists of the following modules:
- Leading Sport Safely and Effectively
- Working in Sport and Activity Leadership
- Leading Sport and Physical Activity
- Coaching Sport
- Developing Skills for Sport and Activity Leadership
- Getting Others Active Outdoors
- Leading Different Groups
- Delivering a Sports Activity Event
You will be assessed via:
- Practical skills
- Fitness levels
- 6 Internal Assessments
- 2 External Assessments/Online Exam and 2 hour timed task-set and marked externally
- Advantage when applying for sport and activity leadership roles
- Progression to apprenticeships in sport and leisure such as Level 2 Community Coach Activator
- Progress further in the sport sector to a Level 3 Tech Level qualification such as a Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Fitness Services