This course is designed for ages 16-19.
It will give learners the introductory skills to either start a career in sport or progress within employment in the sector. This qualification can also prepare learners for higher or further education and gives a good introduction to the sport vocation.
This qualification is nested. Qualifications within a nested suite allow learners to be topped up to a qualification that is the same level and subject within the Certificate and Diploma structure.
You will study sports and leisure in a professional vocational sports setting based at Leyton Orient Football Club and the Score Sports Complex. Learners will need to have a passion for sport and an interest in exploring the different areas of this area including health, fitness, performance, coaching, sports science and events.
There will also be opportunities for work experience and volunteer placements, gain additional coaching qualifications and also to play football or other sports for our Leyton Orient College Teams in regional and London based leagues. Football students will receive six hours coaching from Leyton Orient FC Academy and Community coaches as part of their enrichment programme.
This one-year course is the first steppingstone for students interested in sports studies who want to combine education on a non-traditional site with training and playing sport to the highest level they are capable of. Learners will generally have 3-4 days of study a week including English and Maths.
This course will lead to:
• Progression to the Level 3 Sport or Level 2/3 Sports Apprenticeships
• employment within the Sports and Leisure Industry
The entry requirements for this course are:
• 4 GCSEs at Grade 3 (D) or above including English and Maths Grade 2 (E) or above
• Pass/Merit in a relevant Level 1 qualification
• Initial assessment minimum Entry 3 English
• You will be required to attend an informal interview which may include completing an assessment based on your prior qualifications.
This course consists of the following modules:
• Participating in Sport
• Preparing to Work in the Sport and Leisure Industry
• Understanding Business in Sport
• Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
• Introduction to Healthy Exercise and Nutrition
• Plan, Deliver and Evaluate an Activity Session
• Planning and Running a Sport Event
Learners must complete:
• 7 units for the Diploma (first 3 mandatory)
• 4 units for the Certificate (first 3 mandatory)
The focus is on key transferable skills and the sector units-allow delivey to be practical.
You will be assessed via:
• Practical skills
• Fitness levels
• Theory Internal Assessments (Pass, Merit and Distinction Grades available).