This course is designed for 16-19 year olds
Our Sport, Level 2 course is designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills to access the Health and Fitness Industry or progress to the Sport, Level 3 course at Waltham Forest College.
Throughout the course you will be assessed to achieve the Sport, Level 2 qualification via a mixture of coursework assessment and two externally assessed exams.
Units cover various aspects of industry related skills such as leading sports activities to giving the student’s knowledge of anatomy and physiology, both important to progress within sports coaching, fitness instructing and sports leadership.
This course will reflect the reality of the industry and provide you with a comprehensive understanding of the skills and knowledge required to progress your career.
The course is scheduled over 3 days per week and will cover 8 units of study, two of which are exam based and will be a mixture of theory and practical across the year.
Your progression from this qualification will be either of the below pathways:
• Sport, Level 3 at Waltham Forest College – If you wish to further enhance your skills and knowledge in the subject area and work towards UCAS points for university.
• Employment – This qualification will give you the skills required to gain employment.
The entry requirements for this course are:
• 4 GCSEs at Grade 3 (D) or above including English and maths or
• Merit in relevant Level 1 qualification
• Interview and assessment
If required, you will have the opportunity to study GCSE maths and/or English alongside your course so you can progress onto the next level.
You will be trained and assessed across the following areas:
• Fitness for Sport and Exercise (exam based)
• Practical Sports Performance
• Leadership in Sport
• Anatomy & Physiology (exam based)
• Lifestyle & Wellbeing
• Promotion & Sponsorship in Sport
• Injury and the Sports Performer
• The Sport and Active Leisure Industry
This course is supported by our Create Your Future Programme. An online curriculum, specially tailored to your course and level, to help you develop essential workplace skills, strengthen your independence, boost confidence and increase progression opportunities.
You will be assessed across a mix of theory and practical assessments which will be carried out to industry standards.
The assessment methods will be a mix of the below:
• Practical assessments
• Theory based assessments
• Online exams
Attainment of the Level 2 qualification will be linked to your suitability to progress to the Level 3 Sport course at Waltham Forest College.
All assessments will give you an opportunity to pass at one of the following three standards:
• Pass, Merit or Distinction
Course progression also requires the completion of a 36-hour work placement and logbook within the relevant industry setting within the academic year