This course is designed for 16-19 year olds
This Level 1 course is designed for ages 16-19 and is the first year of a 2 year course which will see you progress to Level 2.
After the 2 years you will be ready for employment in the Health & Fitness Industry. If you wish to progress to university you will have the opportunity to progress to a Level 3 course.
Throughout the course you will be assessed to achieve the BTEC Level 1 qualification via a mixture of coursework assessment and practical assessment that is all internally assessed.
Units cover various aspects of Industry related skills such as assisting sports leaders, helping to plan and lead sports activities to giving the students knowledge of the work environment, both important to progress within the Sports Industry.
The course is scheduled over 3 days per week and will cover 5 units of study.
The entry requirements for this course are:
- No formal qualifications are required for this course. But it is essential you have an interest in the subject and commitment to the course.
You will be required to study Functional skills in Maths and English as a part of your course.
You will be trained and assessed across the following areas / units:
- How the body works
- Assisting a leader of sports or active leisure activities to plan and deliver and activity
- Managing your health at work
- Learning from a work placement
- Taking part in sport
You will be assessed across a mix of theory and practical assessments which will be carried out to industry standards.
The assessment methods will be a mix of the below:
- Practical assessments
- Theory based assessments
You will have coursework theory and practical assessments throughout the year. Attainment of the level 1 qualification will be linked to your suitability to progress to the next year of study, the BTEC Level 2 Sports course.
All assessments will give you an opportunity to receive:
Course progression also requires the completion of a 36-hour work placement and logbook within the relevant industry setting within the academic year.
Your progression from this qualification will be either of the below pathways:
- Employment This qualification will give you the skills required to gain employment in a supported role.
- BTEC Level 2 If you wish to further enhance your skills and knowledge in the subject area and work towards a BTEC Level 3.
The BTEC Level 2 and 3 Diploma in Sport can be studied with Waltham Forest College.