This 2-year course is designed for 16-18 year olds who want to pursue a career in early years education, childcare or assisting teaching.
Learn more about T-Levels.
From this qualification you can progress onto university, apprenticeship or employment, leading to roles such as, Nursery Worker, Teaching Assistant, Playworker, Learning Mentor or Special Educational Needs Teaching Assistant, to name a few.
This course will lead to:
- Higher level courses such as HND
- University Degree
- Higher-level apprenticeship
The entry requirements for this course are:
- 4 GCSEs at grades 4+ (A*-C), or equivalent including English and maths
Where entry requirements have not been achieved, students may be referred to the T-Level Transition Programme.
You will be required to attend an informal interview which may include completing an assessment based on your prior qualifications.
Consideration may be given if only one GCSE English or maths is at grade 4. This will depend on other subject grades and with the expectation the other subject, either English or maths, will be achieved at grade 4+ before completion of the T-Level. This will form part of the interview and assessment process.
This course consists of the following modules:
All students will develop a general understanding of:
- Understanding the Education and Childcare Sector from ages 0 to 19
- Child development
- How to support children and young people’s education
- Safeguarding, health and safety and wellbeing
- Understanding and managing behaviour
- Observing and assessing children and young people
- Equality and diversity
- Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)
- English as an additional language
- Working with parents, carers and wider families
- Working with agencies and services that support children, families and carers
- Reflective practice and other forms of professional development
Specialisms (optional route):
- Early years educator
- Assisting teaching
- All students must complete a minimum of 45 days working with an employer(s) on an industry placement. 105 days if you take the Early years educator specialism.
You will be assessed via:
- Work placement/journal
- Witness testimony
- Personal statements