This course is designed for 19+ Adults. The CELTA is an initial teacher training qualification for those looking to teach English as a Second Language in either the EFL sector or the ESOL sector, either in the UK or abroad. It is ideal for those with little or no teaching experience, such as recent graduates and people who are changing careers. It is accredited by Cambridge and recognised all around the world.
The entry requirements for this course are:
- You must be at least 18 years old and have qualifications suitable for entry into higher education (e.g. at least 2 A-level passes or equivalent level 3 qualifications)
- You must also have a high level of English (at least C1 on the CEFR scale, which is equivalent to a good pass at CAE or grade 7.5 in IELTS)
The course consists of the following modules:
- Language analysis and awareness - the grammar, lexis and phonology of English
- Language skills - how to teach receptive skills (listening and reading) and productive skills (speaking and listening)
- Planning - evaluating resources and planning effectively
- The Learners - understanding different cultural and linguistic backgrounds of learners and how this can affect their learning of English
- You will also carry out observations of experienced teachers and complete six hours of teaching yourself to two classes of two different levels
You will be assessed via:
- Teaching practice: you will teach a total of six hours, spread over about ten lessons, at two different levels
- Written assignments: you will complete four written assignments focusing on language analysis, teaching language skills, a profile of one student and reflections on your own teaching
This course will lead to a DELTA course once you have gained at least two years' experience of teaching a range of levels in EFL/ESOL.