This course is designed for ages 16-19.
This course is designed to develop their skills for progression to further learning and, ultimately, to employment in the Football or Sports Industry.
This qualification is nested. Qualifications within a nested suite allow learners to be topped up to a qualification that is the same level and subject within the Certificate and Diploma structure.
It is aimed at young people who wish to study the sports and leisure industry in a professional vocational sports setting based at Leyton Orient Football Club and the Score sports complex. Learners will need to have a passion for sport and an interest in exploring the different areas of this area including health, fitness, performance, coaching, sports science and events.
There will also be opportunities for work experience and volunteer placements, gain additional coaching qualifications and also to play football or other sports for our Leyton Orient College Teams in regional and London based leagues. Football students will receive six hours coaching from Leyton Orient FC Academy and Community coaches as part of their enrichment programme.
This one-year course is the first stepping stone for students interested in sports studies who want to combine education on a non-traditional site with training and playing sport to the highest level they are capable of.
Learners will have 3-4 days of study a week including English and maths.
This course will lead to:
• Progression to the Level 2 Diploma in Sport
• Level 2 Sports Apprenticeship.
• Employment within the Sports and Leisure Industry
The entry requirements for this course is:
• 4 GCSEs at Grade 1-2 (E-G) including English and Maths
• Initial assessment minimum Entry 2 English
• You will be required to attend an informal interview which may include completing an assessment based on your prior qualifications.
You will learn about different aspects of the Sports Industry, from fitness training, understanding how the body works and preparing to coach a range of sports activities and organise sports events.
This course consists of the following modules:
• Being Organised
• Developing a Personal Progression Plan
• Working with Others
• Researching a Topic
• How Exercise Affects the Body
• Training for Fitness
• Playing Sport
• Coaching Skills in Sport
• Assisting in a Sports Activity
• Contributing to Running a Sports Event
• Getting People Active
• Keeping Active and Healthy
Learners must complete:
• 10 units including all core units for the Diploma
• 5 units including 2 core units for the Certificate
The focus is on key transferable skills and the sector units-allow delivery to be practical.
You will be assessed via:
• Practical skills
• Theory Internal Assessments (Pass, Merit and Distinction Grades Available)