The IMI Level 1 Certificate in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair qualification will allow you to prepare for a career in the Motor Vehicle Industry.
You will gain an understanding of this industry in general and an insight into the various career options available.
We have strong links within the industry and work with companies such as Mercedes, Audi, BMW & the AA.
The course is scheduled for 1 day per week and has a mixture of practical and theory work.
The Automotive Industry is a vital part of the UK economy. With more than 182,000 people employed in manufacturing and some 780,000 in total across the wider Automotive Industry, it accounts for 10% of total UK exports generating £77 billion of trade.
More than 25 manufacturers build in excess of 70 models of vehicle in the UK, supported by 2,500 component providers.
The entry requirements for this course are:
- 4 GCSEs at Grade 3 (D) or above including maths and English
- Assessment and interview
If you have no GCSEs you will be asked to do a BKSB assessment. Minimum entry criteria is working at Level 1.
If required, you can study Functional Skills maths and/or English alongside your course so you can progress onto the next level.
What will I study?
This course consists of the following modules:
- Health and safety in the workplace
- Tools, equipment and consumable materials for vehicle maintenance
- Lubrication system components and maintenance
- Spark ignition system components and maintenance
- Spark ignition engine fuel system components and maintenance
- Exhaust system components and maintenance
- Suspension system components and maintenance
- Braking system components and maintenance
- Wheel and tyre construction and maintenance
- Vehicle electrical circuits and components
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed via:
- Written tasks
- Practical activity
To further enhance your progression, you will actively participate in internal and external skills competitions, such as Worldskills.
You will take part in trips and visits such as dealerships with Mercedes and BMW. You will also have access to key employers that deliver guest lectures to help build your industry knowledge and contacts.
As part of your course, you will learn about employability, sustainability (Electric Vehicle Maintenance) and health and safety which will provide you with the most up-to-date knowledge to gain work within the industry.
You will be offered opportunities to actively engage with industry related employers and take part in experiential events to improve your personal development.
Successful completion on this course will lead to:
- Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Level 2
- Vehicle Inspection Level 2
Waltham Forest College is a vibrant and aspirational college and will support you to reach your career aspirations. Last year 96% of learners progressed onto a positive destination either to higher levels of study, employment, or an Apprenticeship.