This course is for you if you want to improve your English speaking, reading and writing skills, either for work, further study or everyday life.
As part of this course, you will study a variety of communication, reading and writing tasks.
Our courses are held in a friendly, supportive environment so that you can develop the skills you need.
The course is scheduled over one day per week for 2 hours.
Are you looking to progress in your current career, retrain or upskill?
Retraining in an existing career or entering a new career path is a great way to increase your job satisfaction. A new career can lead to a better work-life balance and an improved financial situation.
English courses help to develop the numeracy skills required for work and everyday life.
Functional Skills courses are widely recognised across sectors of employment and can be a stepping stone towards GCSE.
The entry requirements for this course are:
- Diagnostic assessment to enable us to gauge the level you are currently working at and enrol you on the most suitable pathway for your success
If you have previously gained a Functional Skills English qualification, you can enrol to the next level.
What will I study?
This course consists of the following modules:
- Speaking, listening and communication - Respond appropriately to others and make some extended contributions in familiar formal and informal discussions and exchanges
- Reading - Read and understand the purpose and content of straight forward texts that explain, inform and recount information
- Writing - Write texts with some adaptation for the intended audience
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed via:
- Two written exams - one for reading and one for writing
- Speaking and listening assessment
Our Student Common Room is a great place to unwind and relax during your breaks. It features pool tables, table tennis, a gaming corner and lots of comfy sofas.
Themed events are held in the Common Room so you can get the best experience of being a Waltham Forest College student.
You will be offered opportunities to actively engage and take part in experiential events to improve your personal development.
This course will lead to:
- Next level of Functional Skills or GCSE
- Further/Higher Education
Waltham Forest College is a vibrant and aspirational college and will support you to reach your career aspirations. Last year 96% of learners progressed onto a positive destination either to higher levels of study, employment, or an Apprenticeship.
- Fathia H passed English Level 2 and is now working as a Teaching Assistant at a local School
- Sophia J completed her Level 2 English and is now studying Access to Nursing and Midwifery at Waltham Forest College