The Pre-Access: Health, Social Care and Social Work Level 2 is designed for people who would like to progress to higher levels of study, who have no formal qualifications.?
The course content focuses on the core knowledge and skills you need to successfully progress to study at Level 3. The teaching and learning methods will give you opportunities to develop transferable skills including:
- Study skills?
- Reflective practice
- Independent study skills?
The course is one year and scheduled over 1-2 days per week and will be a mixture of theory and practical lessons.
New recruits for the Health & Social Care Sector have never been more in demand. The effects of the pandemic continue to be felt, therefore extra funding pledged by the government to boost the social care workforce, on top of the £5.4billion already set aside in 2021 for adult social care will be welcomed.
By going into Health and Social Care employment you will be playing an important role in the recovery of this important sector.
The entry requirements for this course are:
- GCSE maths and English at Grade 3 (D) or above, or Functional Skills Level 1 in both English and maths. The ideal candidate will, however, have already achieved a minimum of Level 2 in one of these subjects
- Interview and assessment
In addition to your main Pre-Access programme, you will be required to enrol onto an adult English or maths course in order to obtain a minimum of one Level 2 qualification in English or maths. This will support your progression onto an Access course.
What will I study?
This course consists of the following modules:
- The living body
- Planning a career in health, social care or social work
- Introduction to sociology
- Healthcare provision in England and Wales
- Communication in a health, social care or social work context
- Health and social care or social work project
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed via:?
- Essays and reports?
- Leaflets and posters?
- Tutor observations
You will be invited to take part in many study trips and visits throughout the year. Examples include:
- The Dementia Hub
- Health and Social Care Conferences
You will also have access to key employers that will deliver guest lectures to build your industry knowledge and create your future.
You will be offered opportunities to actively engage with industry related employers and take part in experiential events to improve your personal development.
This course will lead to:?
- Access to Nursing and Midwifery?
- Access to Social Science?
- Employment and apprenticeships
Waltham Forest College is a vibrant and aspirational college and will support you to reach your career aspirations. Last year 96% of learners progressed onto a positive destination either to higher levels of study, employment, or an Apprenticeship.