The NCFE Diploma for Entry to the Uniformed Services Level 2 qualification will allow you to prepare for a career in the uniformed and non-uniformed Public Services and provide you with the knowledge and understanding of the Public Sector requirements.
Learners will gain insight into the various career options available. You will learn about team building, problem solving, Health and Safety procedures and more.
You take part in adventurous activities which relies on being resilient and a team player. With this course you will be able to be one step closer on applying for a job within the Armed Forces, Emergency Services, Government Sector or Criminology and Law.
Waltham Forest College is putting sustainability at the heart of everything that we do, and in this course, you will learn more about the environment and how various areas of public services from government down are looking to reduce their carbon footprint and work towards a more sustainable future. You will take part in various projects around sustainability and discuss the best use of resources and environmentally friendly strategies and practices.
The course is scheduled over 3-4 days per week and will be a mixture of theory and practical lessons.
The College has strong links with the Metropolitan Police, London Fire Brigade, the Military and other Public Sector organisations.
Public Services in the UK provide a range of opportunities for the 5.77 million already working in the sector. The industry is made from local and national government, Health and Social Care, Education, Business Administration including Law enforcement and intelligence. It is a growing sector with increased budgets from central government for recruitment into the Uniformed Protected Services.
The entry requirements for this course are:
- 4 GCSEs at Grades 3-2 including Maths and English
If required, you will study GCSE or Functional Skills English and/or maths alongside your course so you can progress onto the next level.
What will I study?
This course consists of the following modules:
- Investigate employment in the Uniformed Services
- Physical fitness for the Uniformed Services
- Develop team working and problem-solving skills
- Health and Safety in the Uniformed Services
- Health and Hygiene in the Uniformed Services
- Follow Uniformed Service routine
- Exploring equality and diversity for the Uniformed Services
- Explore the use of telecommunication in the Uniformed Services
- Explore volunteering and volunteering opportunities
- Undertake adventurous activities
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed via:
- Written tasks
- Practical activity
- Study visits
- Team building activities
All assessments will offer you an opportunity to pass at one of the following three standards: Pass, Merit and Distinction.
Alongside your course, you will take part in drill parades, attending outdoor expeditions, taking part in water sports, physical cardio endurance activities, camping and community charity events.
These enrichments are aligned and tailored around your course and development. They are the key to building soft skills in the role of employment.
Our Student Common Room is also a great place to unwind and relax during your breaks. It features pool tables, table tennis, a gaming corner and lots of comfy sofas so you can refresh before your next lesson.
Themed events are held in the Common Room so you can get the best experience of being a Waltham Forest College student.
You must complete 36 hours of work placement with an external employer linked to the industry of study, which is an essential part of the programme. The connections we have for work experience are Ride Along schemes with the Metropolitan Police, residential to the Armed Forces base, YMCA charity, British Heart Foundation and Feel Good Centre and Gym.
The completion of this course will allow you to progress onto:
- Entry to the Uniformed Services Diploma Level 3
- Law, Criminology and Psychology Level 3
If applicants are 19 and over, they can have the opportunity to apply for our Access to Policing Level 3 programme at Waltham Forrest College.
100% of learners who study Level 2 have achieved at the College with 60% progressing onto Level 3 Public Services internally with the remaining 40% finding employment or progressing their studies internally in other departments.
Learner, EA - Studied a Public Services First Extended Certificate Level 2 in at Waltham Forest College and progressed to Public Services Level 3. The learner received support from tutors who assisted him with his Metropolitan Police Special Constable application; he is currently serving as a Volunteering Police Officer whilst continuing his studies at the College.