The Level 2 Diploma in Hospitality Services is a mixture of theory, practical and production within the College's Mallinson Restaurant.
You will study Health and Safety and security within a professional environment, learn how to operate a barista machine and serve hot drinks. Prepare and cook food safely and serve guests as part of a Hospitality Team within our restaurant.
The course runs for 8 hours a week over 34 weeks.
The Hospitality and Tourism Sector is a key pillar of the UK's broader economic and social success and employs approximately 3 million people.
There were 146,000 job vacancies across the Hospitality Sector in the months leading to January 2023 meaning that this is a sector ready for skilled fresh talent to take advantage of the opportunities available.
The entry requirements for this course are:
- 4 GCSEs at Grade 3 (D) or above including English and maths, or Merit in relevant Level 1 course
- Interview and assessment
If required, you will have the opportunity to study GCSE maths and/or English alongside your course so you can progress onto the next level.
What will I study?
This course consists of the following modules:
- Maintain a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Work effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Maintain food safety when storing, holding and serving food
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing, and cooking food
- Give customers a positive impression of self and your organisation
- Serve food at the table
- Prepare and clear the bar area
- Prepare and serve hot drinks using specialist equipment
- Produce basic fish dishes
- Prepare and cook meat and poultry
- Prepare and present food for cold presentation
You may want to choose just cookery or front of house units which can be discussed during the interview process.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed via:
- Observation within a real working environment
- Knowledge tests and written answers
You will actively participate in themed seasonal events, charity fund raisers and attend motivating guest lectures to inspire your future aspirations.
There are reward schemes for high performing attendance and those that go above and beyond to support colleagues within our busy catering environment.
Our Student Common Room is a great place to unwind and relax during your breaks. It features pool tables, table tennis, a gaming corner and lots of comfy sofas so you can refresh before your next lesson.
Themed events are held in the Common Room so you can get the best experience of being a Waltham Forest College student.
You must complete 36 hours (1 week) of external work placement which is an essential part of the programme. Some of the opportunities will include placements such employers such as:
- Little Pollen Street
- The Ritz
- Mandarin Oriental
- The Rear Window
This course will lead to:
- Professional cookery Level 3
- Patisserie and Confectionary Level 3
- Food and Beverage Services Level 3
Waltham Forest College is a vibrant and aspirational college and will support you to reach your career aspirations. Last year 96% of learners progressed onto a positive destination either to higher levels of study, employment, or an Apprenticeship.