Professional Cookery Level 3 is a mixture of theory, practical and production within the College's Mallinson Restaurant.
The course will give you opportunities to practice supervisory skills in a professional kitchen as well as develop complex dishes, recipes, and menu development.
There will be real life opportunities to work on events, restaurant themes and seasonal food specialities.
The course runs for 9 hours a week over 34 weeks.
The Hospitality and Tourism Sector is a key pillar of the UK's broader economic and social success and employs approximately 3 million people.
There were 146,000 job vacancies across the Hospitality Sector in the months leading to January 2023 meaning that this is a sector ready for skilled fresh talent to take advantage of the opportunities available.
The entry requirements for this course are:
- Interview and assessment
What will I study?
This course consists of the following modules:
- Develop productive working relationships
- Maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment
- Maintain food safety when preparing and cooking food
- Contribute to the development of recipes and menus
- Prepare and cook meat for complex dishes
- Prepare and cook fish for complex dishes
- Cook and finish complex vegetable dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish complex dough products
- Prepare, cook and finish complex hot and cold desserts
Candidates may want to choose from an array of specialist units, such as game and shellfish or pastillage and chocolate work for those with a pastry chef ambition.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed via:
- Observation within a real working environment
- Knowledge tests and written answers
Our Student Common Room is a great place to unwind and relax during your breaks. It features pool tables, table tennis, a gaming corner and lots of comfy sofas so you can refresh before your next lesson.
Themed events are held in the Common Room so you can get the best experience of being a Waltham Forest College student.
You will be offered opportunities to actively engage and take part in experiential events to improve your personal development.
This course will lead to:
- University degree
- Progression within existing employment
Waltham Forest College is a vibrant and aspirational college and will support you to reach your career aspirations. Last year 96% of learners progressed onto a positive destination either to higher levels of study, employment, or an Apprenticeship.