The Building Services Engineering - Plumbing T-Level 3 is designed for students aged 16-18 who are looking towards a career in a range of construction occupations.
This T-Level is the Plumbing and Heating Route.
Career options might include:
- Engineering maintenance
- Construction technician
- Building and services engineer
- Smart meter installer
- And many more
We have strong links within the industry and work with companies such as Society of Public Health Engineers (SOPHE) and have been accredited as a Centre of Excellence by SOPHE.
Waltham Forest College is putting sustainability at the heart of everything that we do, and in this course, you will also learn about sustainable materials, re-using and upcycling materials within a construction environment, waste management, different types of insulation for construction, passive houses (membranes to avoid heat loss). Additionally, within plumbing courses you will learn about air source heat pumps, the benefit of using rainwater harvesting, and solar thermal integration into new housing developments.
The course is scheduled for 4 days per week and has a mixture of practical and theory work. You will study this course for 2 years.
The Plumbing Industry encompasses a wide range of professionals and generally includes anyone who installs or repairs pipes that carry liquids or gases. Plumbers work in various settings and are often on call at all hours for situations such as leaks or pipe bursts that require immediate attention to prevent serious, long-term damage.
Typical tasks for plumbers can include fixing leaking pipes, installing household fixtures (e.g., sinks, showers and toilets), repairing or replacing water heaters and water conditioning equipment, and conducting lawn sprinkler system maintenance.
Within Waltham Forest, and the wider London region, there are always new projects such as new housing developments, shopping centres, commercial/industrial centres or urban regeneration projects. Our courses will prepare you for these challenges.
The entry requirements for this course are:
- 5 GCSEs at Grade 4 (C) or above including maths (Grade 5) and English (Grade 4)
- Assessment and interview
What will I study?
This course consists of the following modules:
All students will develop a general understanding of:
- Health and safety
- The science behind building design, surveying and planning
- Making accurate and appropriate measurements
- Construction methods
- Building regulations and standards
- Data management and information standards in construction
- Relationship management and customer service
- How the internet of things (iot) impacts construction?
- Digital engineering techniques
- Mathematical techniques to solve construction problems
- Construction design principles and processes
- The construction industry and its role in the economy
- Sustainability and the environmental impact of construction
- Business, commerce and corporate social responsibility
- Building technology principles
- Building services engineering systems
- Maintenance principles
- Tools, equipment and materials
Specialisms for Building Services Engineering:
- Plumbing and heating engineering
As part of your programme, you will learn and complete the health & safety requirements to be able to obtain a CSCS/ESC card (provided by the College) that is an industry requirement to enter sites.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed via:
- Mandatory exams
- Industry placement and journal
- Witness testimony
- Personal statements
To further enhance your progression, you will actively participate in internal and external skills competitions, such as UK SkillBuild.
You will take part in trips and visits such as Future Build and UK Construction Week. You will also have access to key employers that deliver guest lectures to help build your industry knowledge and contacts.
You will be supported to complete a minimum of 9 weeks working with an employer(s) on an industry placement. This is an essential part of the course. Some of the opportunities will include placements with employers such as Plumbing Done Easy, Hill Group, ISG.
Successful completion on this course will lead to:
- Higher Apprenticeship training programmes
Waltham Forest College is a vibrant and aspirational college and will support you to reach your career aspirations. Last year 96% of learners progressed onto a positive destination either to higher levels of study, employment, or an Apprenticeship.