This course is designed for ages 16-19 and 19+ adults.
Our engineering course is designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills to access the Engineering Industry. Once you have completed your hands-on engineering training, you will be industry ready.
Throughout the course you will be trained and assessed to achieve an EAL qualification. You will also receive training which reflects the reality of the industry and will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of the skills and knowledge required to progress your career.
This is a 2 year course in which you will study at Levels 1 and 2 after which you have the option of progressing into employment or progressing into university.
The course is scheduled over 3 days per week and will be a mixture of theory and practical across the 2 years.
Your progression from this qualification will be:
• Engineering, Level 2 (Year 2) at Waltham Forest College.
The entry requirements for this course are:
• Level 1 (Year 1) – 4 GCSEs at Grade 1 (G) or above including English and maths.
• Level 2 (Year 2) – must have achieved both GCSEs to at least grade 4 in English and maths. A science GCSE is also preferred. You must also have completed the Level 1 (Year 1) qualification.
If required, you will have the opportunity to study GCSE maths and/or English alongside your course so you can progress onto the next level.
Over the two years (Level 1 and 2) you will be cover a range of topics across the following areas:
• Working safely in an engineering environment
• Carry out engineering activities efficiently and effectively
• Using and communicating technical information
• Carry out routine servicing of mechanical equipment
• Carry out routine servicing of electrical and electronic equipment
• Maintaining and using mechanical devices and equipment such as lathes and mills
• Maintaining electrical equipment/systems
• General maintenance
• Engineering applications
• Design using Computer Aided Design (CAD) software
• Engineering principles
• Engineering product design and manufacture
• CAD in Engineering
• Additive manufacturing processes
This course is supported by our Create Your Future Programme. An online curriculum, specially tailored to your course and level, to help you develop essential workplace skills, strengthen your independence, boost confidence and increase progression opportunities.
You will be assessed using a mix of theory and practical assessments which will be carried out to industry standards.
The assessment methods will be a mix of the below:
• Practical assessments
• Theory based assessments
• Online exams
You will have a theory and practical exam at the end of this course which will be linked to your suitability to progress to the Level 2 (Year 2) course.
All assessments will give you an opportunity to pass at one of the following three standards: