This course is designed for 16-19 year olds.
The BTEC Introductory Diploma in Public Services Level 1 qualification will allow you to prepare for a career in the uniformed public services. Students will gain an understanding of this industry in general and an insight into the various career options available. We have close links with the Police Force, Fire Service, Military and other public sector organisations.
The course is scheduled over 3-4 days per week and will be a mixture of theory and practical lessons.
You will also be expected to attend work experience as part of this course and will take part in overnight expedition trips.
This course will lead to:
- Successful completion of this Level 1 will allow you entry to the Public Services Level 2
The entry requirements for this course are:
- 4 GCSEs at Grade 2 (E) or above including maths and English
- Assessment and interview
If required, you will study GCSE or Functional Skills English and/or maths alongside your course so you can progress onto the next level.
This course consists of the following modules:
- Public service careers
- Improving health and fitness for entry into the uniformed public services
- Personal skills for the public services
- Forensic detection
- Practical teamwork in the public services
- Map reading using Ordnance Survey maps
- Public services: assisting the public
- Planning and participating in an event
- Public services project
- Introduction to expedition skills
As part of this course learners will be expected to take part in weekly drill sessions in full uniform.
You will be assessed via:
- Written tasks
- Practical activity
- Study visits
- Team building activities
All assessments will give you an opportunity to pass at one of the following three standards:
The course progression also requires the completion of a 36-hour work placement and logbook within the relevant setting/voluntary organisation.